POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D images : Re: 3D images Server Time
1 Jul 2024 11:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D images
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 Jan 2016 09:10:00
Message: <web.5696598c77c0d9bd33c457550@news.povray.org>
> On 1/12/2016 4:06 PM, Stephen wrote:

> I am not using Google Cardboard. I am going to print the pictures and
> use this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EDB1S4?keywords=stereoscope&qid=1452568122&ref_=sr_1_90&sr=8-90

A bit of trivia: There's another stereoscope on that Amazon page called the
'Owl' viewer-- designed by Brian May, the lead guitarist of the supergroup QUEEN
(!)  Apparently, he is an avid 3D-stereoscope fan.

About 'convergence' of the two camera views:  When I was younger, I did lots of
3D photo experiments, and found that the best 3D effect (for me at least) was to
have both camera views looking off into *infinity* (that is, no 'convergence' of
the cameras onto a nearer object) and to just move one of the cameras laterally
a couple of inches. This produced less eyestrain when viewing the 3D, and didn't
produce any 'odd' convergence-related perspective shifts of other objects in the
scene. In other words, I never converged the two cameras to look at a 'closer'
object, even if that object was the focus of attention.

Just my two-cents worth.