POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Cyrillics! How to use? : Re: Cyrillics! How to use? Server Time
2 Jun 2024 10:28:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cyrillics! How to use?
From: clipka
Date: 12 Jan 2016 10:55:00
Message: <web.5695214937292b41ad6fa18f0@news.povray.org>
"LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:
> > Am 03.01.2016 um 18:27 schrieb LanuHum:
> >
> > > 2.5 years nothing was changed :(
> >
> > This is just to let you know that it's not forgotten; however, any
> > attempts to add Unicode support for filenames have had me bumping into
> > brick walls again and again. There's a fundamental structural problem of
> > the current POV-Ray 3.7 code that needs to be sorted out first, and it
> > can only be done reliably in many small steps, a tedious process I'm
> > currently working on once again.
>
> Thanks!
> Perhaps, it something will help you:
> In Linux: that not to rename the file of the image, I create the symbolical
> links:
> $ ln - s cyrillic_name ascii_name
> It works.

(Linux, btw -- actually Unix in general -- is another obstacle when it comes to
international characters in filenames, at least in theory: There's no way in
heaven or hell to tell Unix to open a file with a given Unicode name, because
Unix doesn't have any notion of character sets at the file system level. To
Unix, a filename is just a sequence of bytes, and it doesn't care whether it is
encoded according to ISO-8859-1, UTF-8, or whatever locale was used when the
file was created. UTF-8 seems pretty common nowadays, but it's not guaranteed.)