POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D images : Re: 3D images Server Time
1 Jul 2024 09:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D images
From: clipka
Date: 11 Jan 2016 07:30:00
Message: <web.56939fc577c0d9bdad6fa18f0@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:

> Active, or shutter, as the name implies, works by quickly blacking out
> one eye, then the other, in sync with each frame being shown. This
> allows it to work with a normal TV or monitor (plus a device to
> sync/transmit to the glasses). Note that these systems probably do
> "black out" each eye using effectively a 1-pixel LCD in each eye (and
> hence work due to polarisation), but they don't rely on any special
> polarisation from the display device itself.

I suspect the shutter glasses' orientation may matter though: As you say, there
is polarization involved in LCD: Essentially it is a sandwich of two
polarization filters, with a medium in between that can rotate the polarization
of the light in a controlled manner.

Thus, for shutter glasses to work with an LCD, the polarization orientation of
the glasses' sandwich filters needs to sufficiently match that of the display's.