POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : GPU-Support for POV-Ray? : Re: GPU-Support for POV-Ray? Server Time
17 May 2024 06:58:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU-Support for POV-Ray?
From: Theogott
Date: 5 Jan 2016 03:45:03
Message: <web.568aea3fed87f78dadb2e4f80@news.povray.org>
I think you are right on this. Thats just how the render-pipeline goes into
"OpenCL".

Let me say that its just a old missconception to say that GPU's "can only render
simple stuff". This was true in the past but let me show you this video to
correct your opinion to the opposite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByJGkSzh4eQ

In fact "modelling and rendering" in REAL-TIME of several Diamonds, including
transparence, refraction and REAL dispersion is "state-of-the-art". As you can
see in this video.

Some years ago we had a POV-Ray version using SSE. WHY?
For a few (100% ?) more speed in some scenes.

100% more speed is completely uninteresting when we talk about OpenCL and GPU's.
We start here with 1000% faster and we go to 30 times faster if you have a "two
GPU graphics card". For actually 350 EUR from Ebay (like my HD 7990).

You don't need to invest a lot of money into a 16 Core CPU, it will not halp you
as much as half the money in a GPU.

Its rather that you can render more complex scenes that you would never render
without a CPU.

I think this video shows that using the GPU is in the future in fact the place
where raytracing has to be done.

What is OpenCL ?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=opencl+opencl

Take a look on this Open Source Rendering programm, even the source code is
available. OpenCL is the way to go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ56eHKz6Ts

You can go to this web-site. Read the source code. And think how you could
implement it. Maybe you just make triangles out of the "primitives" before you
render?

Take a look at the future of GPU's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb7ZYSTYHbw

Rendering with CPU will soon be dead.Something for a few leftovers.
Its just a question of brute force.

We soon get GPU's with several thousands of (slower, but more) Cores that do
render completely in parallel, every pixel!