POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gamma issues again : Re: Gamma issues again Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma issues again
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 4 Jan 2016 11:05:30
Message: <web.568a970f61c3ffe8566b73360@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> Have you heard of MacAdam ellipses?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacAdam_ellipse
>
> My idea is that if you convert your chroma values to a colour space with
> almost equal-sized MacAdam's ellipses, you can then just do a linear
> interpolation in that colour space, and you should get "perfect" hue
> blends for any colours.

Sounds very interesting.  I've been wondering about a perceptually linear color
space, though none that I have seen looks linear to my own eyes--not Munsell,
not CIELAB.  (I am hearing of CIELUV for the first time, though.)

However, it strikes me as overkill for a ray tracer, so I agree with Clipka that
it should be low priority.