POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : GPU-Support for POV-Ray? : GPU-Support for POV-Ray? Server Time
17 May 2024 06:43:50 EDT (-0400)
  GPU-Support for POV-Ray?
From: Theogott
Date: 1 Jan 2016 14:10:06
Message: <web.5686ce657f306893adb2e4f80@news.povray.org>
I have just submitted my result from the Luxmark Test to the site.
The results were:

Scores were:
1208 - for 12 Intel CPU-Cores a' 3.3 GHz.
27800 - for my HD 7990 Graphics card.

In short: The rendering speed of a CPU of these days is within the
measurement-tolerance of an actual (not so actual ... HD 7990) graphics card.

This simple fact makes the use of GPU-Rendering an interesting topic as i see
it. I have examined Luxrender the last time. They do NOT have currently such a
nice rendering SDL like POV-Ray.

To use it, it needs wether Phyton or Blender and its to some degree more
difficult to get it realkly working. However seeing it, or for example "Blender
Cycles" render scenes in 22 seconds using the GPU (via OpenCL) looks funny.

Luxmark - OpenCL rendering Speed-Test.
http://www.luxmark.info/