POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Moon rendering (prototype) : Re: Moon rendering (prototype) Server Time
22 Jun 2024 22:53:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moon rendering (prototype)
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 21 Dec 2015 13:25:00
Message: <web.567843b8361b309e44f714f0@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <jam### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Yes, I found out by myself, when reading it. That reporter used a very
> misleading headline, my apologies for my error.

Beware of science headlines.  Headlines are designed to sell stories, and often
do not reflect the real story.

This is especially true in science, often made worse because most reporters
don't understand how science works.  How often have you read about a new killer
asteroid being discovered, only to read a few days later that the asteroid isn't
going to hit us after all?  The impression is left of scientists with egg on
their faces, when the truth is all that happened is that the scientists narrowed
the error bar after more data came in.  But that's not how the headlines read.

It's especially bad with climate science reporting, due to the political climate
surrounding this issue.  A temporary /slowdown/ in the /warming/ trend is
reported as the Earth is cooling off!

Never assume you know even the gist of a science report if you haven't read
beyond the headline.  And never assume that the science report accurately
reflects the actual science paper, unless you have read the actual science
paper!  (I know, it's tough.)