POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Colors too dark and washed out : Re: Colors too dark and washed out Server Time
3 May 2024 08:34:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colors too dark and washed out
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 23 Nov 2015 05:35:00
Message: <web.5652ebb1a59c8aafb215d6c90@news.povray.org>
> On 11/22/2015 4:22 PM, Alain wrote:
>  > You may try to use rgb instead of srgb.
>  > If the original render used assumed_gamma 1 and uncorrected rgb values,
>  > then, using srgb would give incorrect results.
>

> Well, the colors are supposed to be exact values using Lightsys. I want
> to get them physically correct.

Alain is correct.  CIE.inc was written years before the srgb keyword was
introduced to the POV-Ray 3.7 betas, and was designed for proper use without it,
using assumed_gamma 1.0.  You already use assumed_gamma 1.0 in this draft, as
well as in v1.0 of this module (although the included illustration is washed out
for some reason unknown to me).  The srgb keyword was intended for color values
from outside sources.  By using it on CIE.inc-generated values, you're just
messing up what was already physically correct.

On 2009 November 10, you posted scene file munsell_color_solid_cie.pov to
p.b.s-f.  That scene renders what I expect are the correct color intensities,
notwithstanding the unrealistically high ambient value.