POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : GUI for Povray : Re: GUI for Povray Server Time
28 Jun 2024 21:48:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GUI for Povray
From: LanuHum
Date: 22 Nov 2015 09:00:01
Message: <web.5651c95dc25a84d87a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
> Am 22.11.2015 um 11:37 schrieb LanuHum:
> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >>
> >> No, no, that's absolutely /not/ what I'm saying.
> >>
> >> What I'm saying is that Blender isn't suited for processing /existing/
> >> POV-Ray scenes.
> >
> > You speak about import of a scene Povray to the Blender? Sorry!
> > :)
> > But, for what it is necessary? Someone has many incomplete projects?
> > It would be desirable to see the .pov file which in your opinion can't be
> > connected with the Blender.
>
> Suppose I want to render a Menger Sponge with a piece of cloth draped
> over it.
>
> Now draping a piece of cloth over a geometric shape should be an easy
> thing to do in Blender, thanks to its cloth simulation. But in order to
> do this, you have to have the geometry first, in a format that Blender
> understands and can work with internally.
>
> Now a Menger Sponge is a pretty complex geometric shape, so I wouldn't
> want to model it by hand. But it can be easily described
> programmatically, and that's what POV-Ray excels at: Procedural creation
> of geometry. So POV-Ray would be my tool of choice to model a Menger Sponge.
>
> I'm sure Blender also provides features to create geometry
> programmatically; but I bet it uses an off-the-shelf scripting language
> that isn't custom-tailored to describing geometry (my bet would be
> Python), so it will be comparatively inefficient for the task, requiring
> a lot of boilerplate code. (Besides, it'll also be a language I don't
> know yet.) So I do want to stick to POV-Ray's scene description language.
>
> So here you have a case where I would want to create geometry in
> POV-Ray, then import that into Blender to do additional work on it, and
> finally export those additions back to POV-Ray to assemble the final scene.

Now everything is clear, thanks!
But, I think that if the renderer in the final turns all objects into polygons,
physics simulators also use some general scheme also bringing everything into
polygons(?) At what the Blender can not cope with very difficult geometry or
will consider very long. Time the insignificant used on converting of object in
mesh.
I doubt that you will be able visually to distinguish (different) the cloth