POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Oktoberfest puzzle : Oktoberfest puzzle Server Time
26 Apr 2024 12:36:49 EDT (-0400)
  Oktoberfest puzzle
From: Eriban
Date: 18 Nov 2015 17:45:02
Message: <web.564cfbe7743ba8c6f591106d0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

At the slight risk of spamming this low-traffic group, I want to share the
latest puzzle animation I made. It features the Oktoberfest puzzle designed by
Christoph Lohe. The puzzle is interesting because it consists of six identical
pieces, yet has a solution that is relatively complex.

I did my best to let the wood texture resemble that of the actual puzzle I own.
For this it was required to vary the texture depending on the orientation of the
surface. Somehow this really impacts the color. Furthermore, the texture differs
depending on whether it is an inner part or outer part of the puzzle piece, due
to the finishing that is applied to the wood. The way I modeled this was by
breaking up the puzzle pieces via CSG, so that each surface could be assigned
the right texture-variant. I am happy with the resulting look, which can be seen
in the attached image, but if there are easier ways to achieve the same effect,
I would be interested in hearing them.

The entire animation can be found on YouTube at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wypULBP5mXY

I hope you like it.

Cheers,
Erwin