POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Nitpicking about isosurface threshold : Re: Nitpicking about isosurface threshold Server Time
7 May 2024 07:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nitpicking about isosurface threshold
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 12 Nov 2015 00:05:00
Message: <web.56441d2af41c38b9b215d6c90@news.povray.org>
"MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> Looking at your very nice result and inspecting your code I think that you have
> implemented the formula properly.
>
> And I learned that one can post images to this group. Despite the fact that the
> web front end states "You may not post attachments to this newsgroups". How did
> you achieve this, Thunderbird?

Recalling my Usenet days, it's an honor system; and while news.povray.org is not
part of Usenet, the network protocol is identical.  Newsreaders do not enforce
newsgroup policies.  However, the Web interface is hosted on the server, and can
take enforcement options not available to newsreaders.

Perhaps Scott is unaware of the protocols of antiquity.  Unless the newsgroup
has the word "binaries" in its name, one is expected not to post binaries to
that newsgroup, at the risk of being flamed or retromoderated.  But flames are
rare in this community, and I can recall only two instances of retromoderation
in the 12 years I have been here.

On news.povray.org, there is an exception to this rule: povray.off-topic.  Since
the Web interface permits binary attachments, I must assume that this exception
has official sanction.