POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : mesh camera help needed : Re: mesh camera help needed Server Time
5 May 2024 07:02:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh camera help needed
From: CAD-Andi
Date: 19 Oct 2015 07:25:01
Message: <web.5624d2b44b0dea967a3d9a3d0@news.povray.org>
> > Still I don't know how he implemented the distortion [...]
>
>    Well... I'm sure I did barely understand what I was doing at the time,
> so now I'm really lost. Looking at it, seems just a hack by moving the
> mesh vertexes along the z axis (the pow function is being used to move
> them proportionally to their distance from the center of the mesh).

Thanks for confirming the "hack" :-). I thought I was going crayz.

> > Can somebody give he a hint and nudge me in the right directon as far
> > as how i could achive this?
>
>    Not really, but if you're going for the mesh camera approach, you
> should create a mesh that resembles the lens you are trying to simulate.
>
>    Regards,
>
> --
> jaime

I never worked with mesh cameras (as you may have noticed). I'm capable to
easily create a surface in CAD that is based on the Wikipedia math formulas. I
end up with a special "lens" geometry, that is always perpendicular to the
resulting beam (For perspective projection that would be a perfect sphere).
Unfortunately, I feel like this is not helping at all, becasue I need a mesh
generated in the way that there is a triangle per pixel, right? I can't simply
export and convert my CAD "lens" and use it. Please confirm.

PS: Jaime, thanks by the way for your very interesting website. Im sure I will
return to it many times in the years to come.

Andi