POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Seraglio (Teardown 2) : Re: Seraglio (Teardown 2) Server Time
10 Jun 2024 19:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seraglio (Teardown 2)
From: MichaelJF
Date: 18 Sep 2015 15:00:00
Message: <web.55fc5e8c5da2bcf917f322620@news.povray.org>

> Unless using an area_light with area_illumination on, fade_distance
> should typically be roughly equal to the hypothetical radius of whatever
> light source you are trying to simulate. So for instance, to simulate a
> classic frosted E27 incandescent light bulb, and presuming you're using
> a scale of 1m per POV-Ray unit for your scene, a fade_distance of 0.03
> would be about the right value.

I wonder what part of the bulb determines this fade_distance: the frosted part,
the diameter of the socket (E27) or the incandescent part? I suppose the power
consumption given in Watt (Germany) with this kind of bulbs in former years and
now replaced by lumen with energy saving lamps usually influence the general
brightness only and not the fade_distance. The "incandescent" should influence
the color of the light source, so only the "frosted" remains. 3 cm is the
approximated radius of this bulbs and as they are frosted the point where their
full light intensity should arise. Is this the reason for this fade_distance?

Best regards,
Michael