POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Seraglio (WIP) : Re: Seraglio (WIP) Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:49:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seraglio (WIP)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 28 Aug 2015 03:05:02
Message: <web.55e00796f1eaec472aaea5cb0@news.povray.org>
> I'm still not quiet sure that you can solve this riddle only by theory.
> I assume there are additional conditions at work here to slow down the
> rendering of your water that dramatically.
>
> Since I have a somewhat simliar scene in my mind I played around a bit.
> I stole a fire from the IRTC (emissive media), modeled a small scene
> which is somewhat similiar to yours (at least the position of the
> "fires" and the water with respect to the camera should be comparable).
> I added a dimmed yellow light_source to the media to get the water
> transparent. The "fires" are repeated 6 times. The water material is
> yours from your "looking for water" thread but I incorporated clipkas
> comments on the demo scene water - and scaled the normal down. The
> rendering was slowed down by command line options (+bs8 +wt6 +r4).
> Radiosity settings were Radiosity_IndoorHQ from rad_def.inc. Parsing and
> rendering was done in 14m 52s. Without the water: 2m 5s. Machine: Core
> i7@3.4 GHz.
>
> So I must have left out a constraint you have in your scene.
>
> My own scene will be different from yours, but the lighting situation
> and the position of the pool relative to the fires are similiar. The
> media of the fires must be improved of course.
>
> Best regards,
> Michael

using those radiosity settings, my 3.01 Ghz Phenom II X6 machine sits on its
thumbs and shows a black window.

Even when I turn off the light source fading, the focal blur and the
anti-aliasing.  With those radiosity settings my computer just sits there.

I have no idea what's going on with this scene, but even when I remove the point
lights and replace them with emissive objects (simple spheres no ambient or
diffuse just emission 60 and no_image) the IndoorHQ settings from rad_def.inc
cause my scene to bog down at 0%.  It doesn't even get to the water.

here is the actual water material I'm using:

#declare M_Watx4 =
material {
    texture {
            pigment { color rgbft <0.235, 0.318, 0.618, 1.0, 0.96> }
            finish {
                diffuse 0
                ambient 0
//                reflection {0.1, 0.9 fresnel on exponent 0.8}
                reflection { 1.0 fresnel on }
                conserve_energy
                specular albedo 1
                roughness 0.007
                }
            normal {
                function {f_ridged_mf(x,y,z, 0.1, 3.0, 7.0, 0.7, 0.7, 2)} 0.3
                scale <1.0, 0.09375, 1.0>
//                scale <4.68, 3.2, 4.68>/12
                }
        }
    interior {
        ior 1.31
        fade_distance 10
        fade_power 1001
        fade_color <0.235, 0.318, 0.618>
        }
    }

my command line: +AM2 +a0.03 +H945 +W1680 +BM2 -RVP +WT6 +P serraglio.pov

I get some slowdown from the floor because the tiles are all geometry (prisms),
and I expect that effects the water some, but I don't think it explains
everything.

my lights are point lights with fade_distance 7 and fade_power 2

other than that, my radiosity settings are dumbed down from the tutorial for
conventional lighting in the docs.

radiosity {
    pretrace_start 0.04
    pretrace_end   0.005