POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Seraglio (WIP) : Re: Seraglio (WIP) Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:52:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seraglio (WIP)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 26 Aug 2015 19:55:01
Message: <web.55de516ef1eaec472aaea5cb0@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> >> The hole debate here is only about theory. Can you post the source code? Most
> >> likely I'm not the one to spot the difficulties but others may be able to do so.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Michael
> >
> > First of all, the original question was about theory.  Secondly, I'm not asking
> > for help fixing code: I'm using a water material (slightly modified) that was
> > provided in a previous thread, if that doesn't work right nothing will.
> >
> > The problem is most likely due to six overlapping light boxes, plus water which
> > has been said to be slow under ideal conditions.  The only viable option I can
> > think of is to get rid of the point lights entirely and switch to some sort of
> > radiant lighting, which is what the question was actually about.
> >
> > so, to reiterate, does anybody have a good way to make luminous flames without
> > point lights?
> >
> > Regards,
> > A.D.B.
> >

> Object with a high emission component in the finish.
> Object filled with some emissive media. Need to add hollow to that object.
>
> Using media, you need to use some pattern to modulate the emission. Some
> that can be usefull:
> spherical (usualy with some turbulence)
> bumps (normaly with uneven scalling, also with some turbulence)
> Other patterns can be used creatively.
>
> The media container will normaly be fully transparent, but that's not
> obligatory, it just need to be mostly transparent.
>

> Alain

I have tried all of these things.  The media gives good results as long as I
don't care if it's pure white... The problem of course is that the parts that
affect the radiosity will be well beyond the white-point and any attempt to add
color reduces their brightness to such a degree that they no longer have the
desired effect.

Regards,
A.D.B.