POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Granite normal distortion trick. : Re: Granite normal distortion trick. Server Time
18 Jun 2024 08:31:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite normal distortion trick.
From: Michael Scharrer
Date: 21 Aug 2015 10:20:03
Message: <web.55d732e9fe0d6abef398fffc0@news.povray.org>
"Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> > Has anyone used a similar trick before? If yes, please show me the results.
>

> Hi Michael,
>
> four sources come into my mind -
>
> using camera with normals to distort an image as a whole are rare, but look at
> David Morgan-Mar  Monet's Garden in Giverny
> http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1999-12-31/dmmonet.jpg
>
> two sources distort images via post-processing
>
> Tor Olav Kristensen  Source code for "Using functions to distort images"

http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/message/%3C4470f87e%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C4470f87e%40news.povray.or
g%

http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/thread/%3C49681241@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=397431&toff=50

> Samuels code uses normals and dispersion, but not an ior different from 1.
>
> and the fourth source uses ior 1.4 and dispersion, but not normals - Tekno
> Frannansa  photo-style short code

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3C489a283e%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C489a283e%40news.povray.org
%3

> Tek used some more effects in his winning IRTC entry Elements, but again - no
> normals - http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2005-10-31/elements.jpg
>
> So, your trick is imho new.
>
> By the way, thanks for your nice gallery. My personal favourite is "growth", but
> most of the others are very good too. The minimalistic style of your gallery
> reminds me a bit of Margus Ramst`s homepage (
> http://www.hot.ee/margusrt/eng/main.html ).
>
> So, keep on poving...
>
> Norbert Kern

Cool stuff. So many different ways to distort an image. How did you find all
that?
By the way: Your favorite, Growth, uses the very same distortion trick.

Michael Scharrer, https://mscharrer.net