POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Planetary Journey : Re: A Planetary Journey Server Time
6 May 2024 05:33:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Planetary Journey
From: MichaelJF
Date: 9 Aug 2015 14:35:01
Message: <web.55c79d2252ac8b06a45e3d720@news.povray.org>
> Am 09.08.2015 um 19:06 schrieb MichaelJF:
> > Playing around with media to model a sunrise I came up with the following image
> > finally.
>
> The media, trees and far-off balloons look gorgeous!
>
> > And yes, there are people trying to walk a rope between hot air balloons. They
> > rely on their parachutes.
>
> I think the tightrope walker is a bit too large; maybe 70% of its size
> should be a better fit.
>
> > For the balloons I took an IRTC-Entry by Neil Alexander as starting point.
> > Image_maps of Earth and Mars are from NASA of course.
>
> I'm not so happy with the Earth, Mars, red-white striped, and
> yellow-orange banded balloons; they look as if they didn't receive any
> sunlight, while instead glowing on their surface.
>
> If this is supposed to be glow from the propane burners, it should be
> (1) darker, (2) more coloured, and (3) be more intense near the bottom
> of each balloon. One way to achieve this might be to place light sources
> at the propane burner locations with proper distance-based falloff, and
> use arse... um, I mean, backside illumination on the balloon skins
> ("diffuse X,Y" or, better yet, "diffuse albedo X,Y", where X+Y < 1).

Many thanks for your comments.

One has to make compromises in CG. The walker is 2.10 m in height. Huge but not
impossible. The main problem I saw was the rope and the balance pole. They are
/* very */ much thicker as they should be. But invisible otherwise. And still
the anti-aliasing has problems with them. But increasing the the anti-aliasing
recursion depth yielded problems with the general lighting. So I had to meet a
compromise.

For your suggestion of arse illumination I have to study a little bit more. But
not with this image. I like it, and it will be as it is.

Best regards,
Michael