POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SOR:nurbs or not? : Re: SOR:nurbs or not? Server Time
10 Jun 2024 02:29:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SOR:nurbs or not?
From: Mr
Date: 5 Aug 2015 08:15:01
Message: <web.55c1fc1b795308e116086ed00@news.povray.org>
> >> If I wrote the AutodeskMaya2Povray exporter, I would meet the same
> >> problems?
> >> :(
> >
> > I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Maya provides mechanisms for export
> > filters to access mesh representations of NURBS surfaces rather than the
> > NURBS coefficients themselves, so that would be an option.

Blender does support an "everything to triangle mesh" export as well, that's
what is implemented in the current exporter, but the idea of treating nurbs as
nurbs just as treating metaballs / blobs as such and any other pov primitive as
its native type like LanuHum is trying to do is much more powerfull to
allow always smooth renders.

Personnally I think the most polyvalent should be to support what JPAtch 0.3
used to support, a curve network converted to four sided bicubic patches, but
it's true native Blender Interface is better designed for NURBS at the moment.
all that would be needed to replace JPatch is a control point tag to "tie
together" several of the curves control points snapped in the same location. The
application of such a tool would bring a whole "market" to both Blender and POV.
the bicubics could also use a mesh with catmull clark subdiv modifier as
graphical input.