POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Looking for Water : Re: Looking for Water Server Time
1 Jun 2024 20:34:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking for Water
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 3 Aug 2015 09:45:01
Message: <web.55bf700579f62d149640c760@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> I need a water material that looks good under multiple light sources but doesn't
> bog down when I render it with radiosity.
>
> The water in my scene is taking forever to render, and I've disabled everything
> but the normal pattern.
>
> Part of the problem might be a low aa threshold combined with a small focal
> blur, but the rest of the scene renders acceptably quickly.

A reaonable fast water material is the one from the povray benchmark:

#declare RMF = function {f_ridged_mf (x,y,z, 0.07, 2.2, 7, 0.6, 0.9, 1)}

#declare M_Watx4 =
material {
        texture {
                pigment {color rgbt <0.21,0.2,0.3,0.96>}
                finish {
                        diffuse 0
                        ambient 0
                        reflection {0.1, 0.95 fresnel on exponent 0.8}
                        conserve_energy
                        specular 0.1*10
                        roughness 0.007
                        metallic 0+0.5
                }
                normal {
                        function {RMF (x,y,z)} 0.2
                        scale 0.07
                }
        }
        interior {
                ior 1.31
                fade_distance 0.8
                fade_power 1001
                fade_color <0.02,0.2,0.06>
        }
}

Imho the diffuse value of 0 is very important.
If it seems too dark, rising the fade_color value is helpful.

Norbert