POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blender exporter now features smoke simultation export via DF3 : Re: Blender exporter now features smoke simultation export via DF3 Server Time
2 Jul 2024 23:41:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender exporter now features smoke simultation export via DF3
From: Mr
Date: 22 Feb 2015 08:40:00
Message: <web.54e9d778d9092e5384fc5cf50@news.povray.org>
"LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:
> "Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Here is the first test of smoke simulation export from Blender exporter to
> > POV-Ray... no need to set up a texture, settings used are just domain's
> > resolution so far. have fun !
>
> That's good!
> If you still nodes and a preview of materials take from me, perhaps, the Povray
> developers will offer us a fast render of hair, having thought up alternative of
> sphere_sweep
> I want to add to the exporter the Povray bicubic_patch editor, using PyQt

Your node work would already be merged if it did not scrap away other features
of the exporter (texture channels). Could you try to merge it again? I would
love to add it to the source. If you don't do it yourself, I will probably do it
one day, but it's not high on my priority list because I plann to support basic
features first, while nodes are more of a luxury alternative to add after these.
Also i'm currently satisfied with the Spheresweep solution, since it's been
proven in an experimental pov build that even the request to UV map along strand
length could be supported, and my tests show that even more hair can be pulled
out this way than Blender internal or Cycles way. The current slowness of the
exporter is partly due to the exporter  being full Python, and with any other
pov method used to render hair downstream, the export process will probably stay
just as long, to loop through each point of each individual hair. What would be
needed to speed up the export process (for hair as well as sculpted mesh, etc.)
is a geometry export using Cycles hardcoded method rather than Python. I think
the povray linking library was even made for that purpose, and could play well
with real time rendering in te viewport  But I, for one, only know Python and
not even that well.
of course if POV devs find a more efficient way to handle hair I'd b glad, but I
would rather request to them a tangent space normal maps feature, catmull clark
subdivision, texture based micro polygons displacement, Ptex, alchemy mesh
support, ... ;)

About Bicubic modeling, your work looks good, and would definitely be a killer
feature but I think it would be better to plan using Blender's GUI rather than
an external GUI engine, since Blender has Bezier/Nurbs patches, and an Open GL
GUI that could be used to that purpose, if only a way to snap bezier handles on
each others was scripted, then the curve network could be exported.

Have a look at version 0.3 (no further) of JPATCH, which is open source: this is
exactly the kind of interaction Blender would benefit from for precise hard
surface modeling. note that it supports 5 points patches which 3DS max still
doesn't!

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jpatch/jpatch_0_3.zip?download
I made the car on my website using it and it took much less time than polygonal
modeling would have : http://maurice.raybaud.eu/