POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Using Animation to Generate A Ray In An Arbitrary Direction : Re: Using Animation to Generate A Ray In An Arbitrary Direction Server Time
19 Apr 2024 18:08:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using Animation to Generate A Ray In An Arbitrary Direction
From: Paul Riley
Date: 26 Jan 2015 23:20:01
Message: <web.54c710e23648a51c508ea77d0@news.povray.org>
> Am 27.01.2015 um 03:33 schrieb Paul Riley:
>
> > In the normal operation of POVRay, I would imagine that the software loops
> > through the target pixel array, determines what the required camera (or ray)
> > direction is and requests the colour of that ray from the renderer. Is it
> > possible to interfere with that process, and create my own loop where I can
> > request a ray to be traced in a direction of my own choosing? i.e. when the loop
> > call a routine to calculate the ray direction, can it call my routine to
> > calculate some arbitrary direction?
>
> You might want to have a closer look at the mesh camera.

Thanks for that.

If I use a regular mesh object, with simple triangles for the mesh camera, how
is the sense of the triangle's normal vector defined? I assume that the normal
vector is the unit vector of the cross product of two of the side vectors. If
so, which ones? If the three vertices are a, b and c, then is the normal vector
ab x bc or is it bc x ab?

Paul