POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Volumetric textures : Re: Volumetric textures Server Time
26 Jun 2024 10:51:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volumetric textures
From: omniverse
Date: 4 Jan 2015 14:25:00
Message: <web.54a992d453bf8cb8ea86bc440@news.povray.org>
"Nekar Xenos" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Maybe I misunderstood what you meant. Can you show me an example of such a
> texture?

Jumping in here...

Only way I can imagine this being possible is to recreate or duplicate a
multitude of scaled objects that have a texture applied to all. I'm fairly sure
this subject has been discussed many times in the past.

And the usefulness could only work for textures or materials with some
transparency, otherwise there would be nothing to see of the internal portions.

Lacking any transparent parts this could already be accomplished with CSG of
objects. In other words, once again using only surfaces as usual. So I would
think some kind of transparency is needed for such an idea to be worthwhile.

isosurface for patterns alone is what I was thinking might be thought of as 3D
pattern object. The missing component being complete texturing, not simply a
pattern.

Skipping over that idea I rendered a basic sphere, scaled incrementally smaller
123 times, with checker pattern and specular highlight (while also making small
changes to those for each re-scale) and got the rendering shown at:

http://www.0mniverse.com/povray/3Dcheckerpatterntexture.jpg

The key to this problem is rendering all components of a texture throughout the
ray trace space. Maybe it could be done, even if it meant something like the way
I tried to show here. Of course, I found render time increased by hundreds of
times so that would be a problem.

I don't know if this is what's being asked about. Basic idea seems to be about
texturing patterns without confines of object surfaces and that's something
completely different(?).