POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Volumetric textures : Re: Volumetric textures Server Time
26 Jun 2024 10:51:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volumetric textures
From: MichaelJF
Date: 3 Jan 2015 11:45:00
Message: <web.54a81c6153bf8cb86af729c20@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 03/01/2015 10:13, Warp a écrit :
> > Anthony D. Baye <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> >> So povray's textures are supposed to be 3D, and indeed the patterns are
> >> demonstrably three-dimensional, however they do not seem to be sampled for the
> >> inside of an object.
> >
> >> So I guess my question is: Why not?
> >
> > POV-Ray renders *surfaces*.
> >
> Sampling 3D is done with media (and there is three kind of them), inside
> surface.

Obviously media are the way to go. A good way here may be the use of df3-files.
Bill Pokorny has given the link to an interesting visualisation tool just some
days ago

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C54a2dc7e%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

Of course one must generate or obtain the df3-files first. But this is another
story...

Best regards,
Michael