POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Experiments in HDRI : Experiments in HDRI Server Time
5 Jul 2024 11:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Experiments in HDRI
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 21 Dec 2014 23:50:00
Message: <web.5497a2caab9768991538d4890@news.povray.org>
I've been experimenting with creating lightprobe images for space scenes, using
a combination of GIMP and PoVRay.

The process is pretty straightforward: I begin by creating a space scene as a
cubemap in GIMP, I then import the map as a png into a custom model in povray,
and render using a spherical camera at an aspect ratio of 2:1 (4000x2000) with
output set to +FE.

The only problem I see with my image is that the stars may be a little too
dense, or too large, to be realistic when mapped onto the cube.

The real problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get the EXR image to map
back onto a sphere properly.  It's always very distorted.

I've uploaded the relevant files to my dropbox, since they're a bit large for
uploading here.  If anybody can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gj5khxb2nqg02kx/AABGsc5rP7PX34sUk3ExJkZFa?dl=0#/

Regards,
A.D.B.