POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stock textures and radiosity : Stock textures and radiosity Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:59:56 EDT (-0400)
  Stock textures and radiosity
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 29 Nov 2014 15:20:01
Message: <web.547a298d8b577c401538d4890@news.povray.org>
I'm working on a scene using textures from stones.inc, and I've noticed large
differences in the appearance of certain textures when rendered with radiosity.

the left side is without radiosity, the right side is with.  The primary texture
is T_Stone43 and the secondary is T_Stone39

I know that this is the result of ambient values in the textures, but the
difference seems a little severe even so.

I can't really experiment with the settings much, as my scene takes almost two
days to render with radiosity, and that's using -RVP and giving povray top
priority on processor usage.

On a side note: does anybody have a good texture tutorial?  I've created custom
textures before, but nothing terribly complex, and I'm mystified as to how some
of the definitions in the libraries work considering that they pack multiple
texture statements into one identifier. I understand that it's a layered
texture, but I'm confused as to how it gets parsed as a single texture and
subsequent definitions don't interfere.

Ideally, I'd like something that covers the new features like SSLT.

Second note: Bryce 7 has the ability to bake Light Probes for HDRI, and I was
wondering if this sort of thing could be done natively in povray using a fisheye
camera.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message