POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transparency maps : Re: Transparency maps Server Time
4 Jul 2024 04:01:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparency maps
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Nov 2014 14:20:01
Message: <web.5478ca1e745b55605e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
> On 27-11-2014 11:55, Stephen wrote:
>
> > Be careful. Once you start looking at old scenes. You will find
> > something else that wants improving. Never ending.
> > I noticed that some of my earth maps go back to 98 (when I downloaded
> > them) and the ones I normally use are from 2008. So I downloaded some of
> > the Blue Marble ones. Now the Nautilus model does not fit in with the
> > Earth . I will need to rework its textures.
> >

> I know. It is a difficult to resist temptation.
>
> Thomas

Having fun and "resting" my brain scrolling through
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:news.povray.org&tbm=isch

and I came across this:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3C43e348c8%40news.povray.org%3E/Alien%20Cliff.jpg?ttop=284089
&toff=1600

Which instantly meshed with a scene in the book I'm (finally) reading - "Against
All Things Ending" by Stephen Donaldson, where Linden Avery beholds Landsdrop:

"And she caught sight of Landsdrop. Grey in the depthless sunlight, it loomed
two thousand feet and more above her own elevation: a blunt rampart smoothed by
the ages until it appeared almost blank; too sheer to scale. But she knew from
old experience as well as from tales that Landsdrop was more accessible than it
looked. There were trails of all kinds up and down the precipice, although she
could not descry them at this distance. Ignoring the impatience of the Ranyhyn,
Linden studied the vista. Almost directly to the west, a thin string of water
fell as though it had been tossed over the rim by a negligent hand. Dull against
the dim stone, like a strand of tarnished silver, it dropped in stages, shifting
from side to side as its plunge encountered obstacles, and casting fine hints of
spray into the etiolated sunshine."