POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transparency maps : Re: Transparency maps Server Time
22 Jun 2024 06:40:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparency maps
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Nov 2014 11:15:01
Message: <web.5475fb69745b55605e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> I am or something like it.
> My understanding is that PovRay uses either an alpha channel or a pallet
> based transparency. With the pallet based method 256 channels are the
> most you can use.

Are you using image_pattern and/or use_alpha?

> I was hoping that someone had devised a way to use the
> greyscale value.

I sort of see what you want to do...
Maybe you could "scan" the image with eval_pigment and then calculate a
transparency variable using the grayscale value?

I dunno - I'm still only on coffee #2, and the foot of snow we're supposed to be
getting is just starting to come down, so I'm not 100% focused...

> I have an acceptable result by converting the original image to 8 bit
> and blurring it a small bit. Then inputing the pallet entries by hand.
> Or by Excel, actually. :-)

That sounds somewhat labor intensive, though interesting.

Maybe some example code and a small illustrative image would help puzzle out a
solution.