POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A sphere over a checkered plane : Re: A sphere over a checkered plane Server Time
2 Jul 2024 22:55:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A sphere over a checkered plane
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 10 Nov 2014 21:20:01
Message: <web.546171ada4acebb0192ae5f10@news.povray.org>
"MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> Nice work! You should consider an entry at www.cgsphere.com, but you have to
> change the scene a bit due to their conditions.

I just put the finishing touches on a project, but it has lots of glass with
spectrally rendered dispersion, so it is very, very slow.  With photons, DOF,
and area lights, early tests suggested a total render time of almost 5.5 days.

The area lights turn out to be a major drag, so I'm rendering the shadowy part
separately with area lights, then splicing that into the main scene.  My new
estimate is down to 3.7 days.  My next step is to see if being stingier with the
max trace level can speed things up without compromising the image.