POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Secret Passage WIP (TINA CHeP) : Re: Secret Passage WIP (TINA CHeP) Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:45:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Secret Passage WIP (TINA CHeP)
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 4 Nov 2014 18:40:01
Message: <web.54596349cbb3d8155e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> What does it look like without the isosurfaces?

There's not a single isosurface in the scene.  I figured it might have something
to do with going through the bulb glass, then the lampshade glass, but I get the
same effect when I just use a looks_like {sphere}....

> I have tried a couple of times to use ceiling lamps with the lamp holder
> at the bottom. And always had similar results to yours.

It's not the ceiling fixture, since the other images I posted have point light
sources in the exact same places in the fixture, and they light up the whole
scene just fine.   All I get are the shadows that jhu didn't like.

> But since I
> don't use radiosity, ambient gets round the lack of atmospheric scattering.
> Have you thought of changing the light fitting to one where the holder
> is above the bulb?

I have, though as I mentioned, the fixture doesn't seem to be the issue.
The lighting and the radiosity seem to all work fine, I'm just trying to work
out how to get the fixture to have a visible light source - but I'm getting both
this weird cut-off effect (which doesn't make sense if you draw a line from near
the top of the lampshade to the edge of the metal fixture - it should intersect
the wall somewhere low, not look like some sort of water_level height_field
cutoff) and the glowing sphere that seems to work well in the lightbulb WIP
looks like a grayish sphere suspended inside the lampshade.

I'm puzzled by this, though I am often thwarted by seemingly simple and
otherwise-straightforward tasks....

I can post the source if it helps hunt down the issue, and you can see that the
fixture-under-lamp doesn't mess up the scene - something else does.