POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : flowering dandelion : Re: flowering dandelion Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:32:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: flowering dandelion
From: s day
Date: 1 Nov 2014 19:50:01
Message: <web.5455713371cc5ccfd48fb1cd0@news.povray.org>
> Can you tell me to find a good introductory example of incorporating HDRI probes
> into POV-Ray scenes is?
> What makes a "good" probe?
> Can I make my own HDRI probes with POV-Ray?

Adding HDR is really as simple as searching for free HDR probes (there are
lots), download it and add something similar to below to your scene:

sphere  { 0 1 hollow
pigment{ image_map{ hdr "Portsmouth_Probe.hdr" map_type 1 interpolate 2 } }
finish { ambient 1 diffuse 1 emission 3} // use emission to control brightness
scale 4000
no_image // only if you don't want the probe visible
}

However, if using HDR then radiosity becomes pretty much essential or the effect
will not be any good.

I generated a couple of probes many years ago using megapov I recall seeing
something about outputting HDR format from Pov but to be honest unless you have
a great scene it will not compete with a HDR probe generated by taking
photographs.

Sean