POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Making functions for natural cubic splines : Re: Making functions for natural cubic splines Server Time
30 Apr 2024 20:27:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making functions for natural cubic splines
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 17 Oct 2014 11:40:00
Message: <web.544137ff5b2bbe7b5e7df57c0@news.povray.org>

> is the time since the beginning of the segment.

Perhaps with your greater experience dealing with the structure of these things,
you could suggest how best I can "reverse engineer" a sphere_sweep to a spline.

It look like a regular spline has these t-values defined.

#declare MySpline =
spline {
  cubic_spline
    -.25, <0,0,-1>
    0.00, <1,0,0>
    0.25, <0,0,1>
    0.50, <-1,0,0>
    0.75, <0,0,-1>
    1.00, <1,0,0>
    1.25, <0,0,1>
    }

It seems that with a sphere sweep, the t-values must be constructed as part of
the spline calculation?  Can I access those t-values in some way to use my
sphere sweep data to generate a "regular" spline?
I'm looking to progress along a spline in a linear fashion - regularly spaced
intervals.

sphere_sweep {
 cubic_spline
 14,
 <-8.8750, 29.3750, 12>, 1.7500/2, // Control Point
 <-8.8750, 28.2500, 12>, 1.7500/2,
 <-8.8750, 27.1250, 12>, 1.2500/2,
 <-8.3750, 26.5000, 12>, 1.0000/2,
 <-8.7500, 25.6250, 12>, 0.7500/2,
 <-8.5313, 24.8438, 12>, 0.5625/2,
 <-8.0625, 24.1250, 12>, 0.5000/2,
 <-7.5000, 23.7500, 12>, 0.5000/2,
 <-6.7500, 23.6250, 12>, 0.5000/2,
 <-6.0000, 23.7500, 12>, 0.5000/2,
 <-5.4375, 24.0000, 12>, 0.5000/2,
 <-4.9375, 24.4375, 12>, 0.6250/2,
 <-4.4375, 25.3125, 12>, 1.1250/2,
 <-3.9375, 26.1875, 12>, 1.1250/2   //  Control Point
     tolerance 0.1
}

(What I'm trying to do at this point is "draw" between my sphere sweep and
another sphere sweep or spline to "fill-in" the space between the two.  Maybe
there's a better way that escapes me at the moment.)