POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Calculating a plane through a bunch of points : Re: Calculating a plane through a bunch of points Server Time
8 Jul 2024 14:06:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating a plane through a bunch of points
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 Oct 2014 15:55:01
Message: <web.54398a3f509cb55e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Ger <No.### [at] ThankYou> wrote:

> I just read (part of) the wiki page on linear regression, but since my math
knowledge hovers just above zero that pag
e was mostly gibberish for me.

Right - I'd have to say that very few people would know how to, or would be
expected to implement, a least-squares regression analysis from scratch.  It's a
button-push feature on a lot of calculators, and it's implemented in
spreadsheets like Excel or Open Office, as well as others.

If it needs to be done on the fly, you might have to see if POV-Ray has the math
functions required to give you what you need.  Otherwise you could generate your
data set with a 3rd party tool, and then run POV-Ray afterwards.

plugging   povray least squares   into Google actually seems to pull up a number
of links that look like they address exactly the problem you are looking for a
solution to.  Surf around some, and maybe you'll hit upon something useful.  Let
me know what you come up with.