POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : secret passage WIP : Re: secret passage WIP Server Time
5 Jul 2024 06:37:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: secret passage WIP
From: s day
Date: 7 Oct 2014 19:15:01
Message: <web.543472ec3190b943b9cb1c270@news.povray.org>

> Can you "split" the stairs into vertical and horizontal surfaces?
> Repeated footsteps would wear the top face of the tread yet leave most of the
> vertical riser unworn.  That in itself would add a level of definition.

Yes, I think some extra work on the stairs is essential, currently it is just a
cylinder in the middle with boxes rotated around for a spiral effect. I need to
model something with more detail then make sure it can be seen ;-)

> Possibly your little guys dropped an item or two on the way in.
> Maybe a rock or a hammer.  ;)

Yes, I want some sign of life to show something uses the stairs so a good idea

> How much have you experimented with the light?  Perhaps a warmer yellow sunlight
> from a sideways direction would give it some highlight and shadow.

Have tried a few things here, currently the light is HDR which I find not so
good for getting nice dark shadows so maybe some tweaking to do.

> That's some pretty sweet plant work you've got going there and ... the tree is
> _A BLOB_???(!!!)  That's one of the coolest blobs I've seen - scratch that -
> "been told _is_ a blob"!  If I was asked, I would have guessed it was an
> isosurface or something.  You haz mad skilz.  Mad. Skilz.
>
> Keep up the good work, and hope you're having fun.  :)

Thanks, I seem to have developed an obsession with blobs of late, starfish,
anemone's, ants can't get enough of the blobs. I did model the entire dandelion
as a blob at first but the memory consumption was too high when I started
replicating it so I switched to a mesh instead.

Of course it is fun even when it goes wrong otherwise I wouldn't do it...
(actually a lie as after this many years of raytracing the withdrawal symptoms
could be fatal).

Sean