POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: mermaid (nsfw) : Re: WIP: mermaid (nsfw) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:45:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP: mermaid (nsfw)
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 7 Oct 2014 12:25:00
Message: <web.5434135ff06154d05e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 2014-10-06 17:53, andrel wrote:
> > My problem with the current placing is that as far as I know there is no
> > muscle there that could move the fin. Somewhat higher up one might use a
> > modified abdominal muscle.
> > I think if you make a vertebrate it should conform to the body plan of
> > vertebrates or at least be physiological plausible. That is why I am a
> > fan of Terryl Whitlatch (and not only because of the extra 'l' at the
> > end of her first name).

>>  The tail indicates that this is definitely not a fish, but a landanimal
readapted to the seas.

Going with the "vestigial dorsal fin" - maybe a modified coccyx, that looks a
bit better in my head - if the plan isn't to use spined vertebrae as a support
for the fin-skin (tm), then maybe just slightly extend the taper of the fin up
the back a bit?
Obviously Tim has his vision for what she is, and I'm no expert in
mer-physiology.

> I had moved the 'pectoral fins' upwards from these drawings so they'd be
> a little better-balanced, visually (would work by rotating the 'femur'
> upwards, keeping its joints intact, just shifting where the limb exits
> the thigh), and made other minor changes as I went, but am trying to
> keep to my musculature layout.

I must confess that I don't quite get what that explanation means - but that's
ok.
IIRC, horses have a way to lock their knees when they sleep - maybe the same
musculature would tie into the leg-fins.

Along the lines of her being an adapted land animal, perhaps it could be
interesting to add a bit more of a suggestive element to show the modified
skeletal structure.  Femurs tapering into long, thin tibias, and the foot bones
composing the tail-fin like the fingers bones compose the wings of a bat, with
the tail being the webbing.

Add a flatness or convexity between the femurs to hint at the origin from two
separate legs, or backlight and add some translucency to the flesh.

>> Another mild criticism is that she will be the last of the line.

Well, I suppose that could either be fleshed-out (pun intended) or perhaps there
is some visually well-hidden fold or other covering.

Aaaaanyway - just my mental wanderings on it.  You've certainly done a great job
getting her modeled and posing her in a nice looking scene.  Looking forward to
seeing where your imagination leads her!