POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : secret passage WIP : Re: secret passage WIP Server Time
5 Jul 2024 06:58:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: secret passage WIP
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 7 Oct 2014 11:45:01
Message: <web.54340a453190b9435e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
> I think I have been working on this image for too long, other than the fact that
> in this version I have messed up the texture

I'm right there with you.  Mine got whammied when I "tweaked" it.
("Don't touch THAT!!!  :O  )

> inside the tree so you cannot
> really see the steps (there is a spiral staircase inside the trunk) I am not too
> sure what else to do with it.

Can you "split" the stairs into vertical and horizontal surfaces?
Repeated footsteps would wear the top face of the tread yet leave most of the
vertical riser unworn.  That in itself would add a level of definition.

Possibly your little guys dropped an item or two on the way in.
Maybe a rock or a hammer.  ;)

How much have you experimented with the light?  Perhaps a warmer yellow sunlight
from a sideways direction would give it some highlight and shadow.

Maybe a toadstool or two, or a fruiting fungus on the tree.
Fallen leaves.
Little Frobozz casting the doorway cloaking spell....  :)

That's some pretty sweet plant work you've got going there and ... the tree is
_A BLOB_???(!!!)  That's one of the coolest blobs I've seen - scratch that -
"been told _is_ a blob"!  If I was asked, I would have guessed it was an
isosurface or something.  You haz mad skilz.  Mad. Skilz.

Keep up the good work, and hope you're having fun.  :)