POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : secret passage WIP : Re: secret passage WIP Server Time
5 Jul 2024 06:58:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: secret passage WIP
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 7 Oct 2014 06:30:00
Message: <web.5433bf0d3190b943ef444a6c0@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:

> As it stands I think this is a bit boring but I am not too sure what it needs to
> make it more interesting so any suggestions would be welcome (am thinking of
> trying a light/lamp inside the trunk.

> Sean

Hi Sean,

since you asked for suggestions...

- Grass is much too uniform. So you can use
-- a grass texture like Jaime Vives Piqueres described in "Bamboo" or especially
in "Grass after rain"
(http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=grass-after-rain),
-- or use much more different plants and/or a good distribution. Here I've to
point to an old unfinished project from me (
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.44b62d56a7a9ea94c436b710@news.povray.org%3E/
and
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.44aecceb9373cf132680557b0@news.povray.org%3E/
). Even if the grass looks a bit uniform, I used this vegetation method with 8
different species (shown below) in "colored leaves" (
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3Cweb.4f6243b5985f1ee4dc4ffc880%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cweb.4f6
243b5985f1ee4dc4ffc880%40news.povray.org%3E
).

- Grass is also too uniform in the near of the trunk. Here plants find less
water (and light), so you need other or decaying plants.

- Water needs more stones, some long algae flowing with the water etc.

- If you want to add a light and stairs into the tree, you're adressing movies
like Avatar, Alice in wonderland, Oz or Maleficent. Here you need a darker
atmosphere (a moonlit meadow?), media fog and some glowing plants or insects to
counterpart the dark image parts.

Other than that - a fantastic WIP like always and I hope you'll publish the
code. ;-)

Norbert Kern

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: