POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines : Re: How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines Server Time
11 May 2024 12:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 3 Oct 2014 15:55:01
Message: <web.542efec7266802cb81584bbb0@news.povray.org>

> Aside: I read in one of your recent newsgroup postings your collection
> of materials is now at 600 or so. Looking forward to an update - though
> I have to admit I've got the 5 or 6 slowest of your first 330 still to
> render.  Not being very experienced with materials, I've been amazed at
> just how slow some of them can be!
>
> Bill P.

Purely my fault,

using a new demo scene, there is no such problem anymore.
At 400:225 all scenes of the old "300" material setup needed a bit more than a
day - the new setup allows to render the materials with 1280:720 within the same
time...

And as you can see, it isn't only a sphere on a plane... (
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3Cweb.54295d1d46a0060a84d386ea0%40news.povray.org%3E/material
s%20update%20examples.jpg
).

And - trust me - the deeper you look in the newsgroups intestines, the more you
will discover. Of course the same is true for private websites, IRTC etc.

By example, Samuel Benge discovered a way to use 65536 samples with nested
average patterns instead of the usual 256 and I don't understand how he did it.

Or let's take Rune's good old grass demos. He managed to construct a pigment
showing to the camera and simulating a 3D grass population.
I'm sure this trick is worth for many new materials alone - at least, if I can
delve deeper into the code...

etc. etc...

Norbert