POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines : Re: How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines Server Time
11 May 2024 10:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines
From: Johann
Date: 28 Sep 2014 16:15:01
Message: <web.54286b6b266802cb16298ca60@news.povray.org>
> On 09/27/2014 11:39 AM, Johann wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Bill for your proposal! Just a few minutes ago POV RAY started to render
> > the image and it took about 14 minutes for 320x240 AA 0.3. I believe that what I
> > am looking for is relative easy and not so complicated.
> >
> Johann & all,
>
> A memory came back to me a bit ago of work on some vector analysis
> functions a decade or more back. Sure enough in Pov-Ray's math.inc there
> is a collection of functions written by Christoph Hormann and Tor Olav
> Kristensen. Also an example  povray file in
>
> scenes/incdemo/f_guncradient.pov.
>
> Stealing code almost directly from func_gradient.pov and using our
> functions to control pigments instead of generate isosurfaces we can get
> something which runs quite a lot faster.
>
> While likely not as artistic an output as I think you want, the result
> at least touches on all the elements I believe you seek.
>
> I'll post an image generated by the code below to p.b.images shortly.
>
> Bill P.

Thank you Bill  very much! This is really very close to what I am trying to
achieve. May I ask something:
If I modify only the following declare expression:
#declare Fn00 = function (x,y,z,k,q) {
(k*q)/(x*x+y*y+z*z+1e-7)
}
would be enough to see a different rendered image or it is required in more
places? I am not speaking about rotation just different field distribution. Is
it possible the field lines to look like arrows that will show the direction of
the field? Besides that the equipotential lines are really beautiful!

Great Job and thank you for once more!

Johann