POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines : Re: How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines Server Time
12 May 2024 18:37:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to: Sphere with 3D Electric Field Lines
From: Johann
Date: 28 Sep 2014 13:40:01
Message: <web.5428472b266802cb16298ca60@news.povray.org>
> As I said, my physics are poor and I do not know what to visualize under
> an electric field. Does that resemble a magnetic field like the one
> around the Earth? For the first example at least that would mean toruses
> in 3D space.
>
> Thomas

Hi Thomas! I am also not a physicist but the way to find a solution is to use
the first example which is simpler. I think what is needed is to attach in a way
the value of the amplitude (E=K*q/r^2) to the cylinder length. The formula of
the electric field is just a function like y=1/r^2. As I can imagine it probably
cannot work like this but using y=1/r^2 to create a color gradient with distance
as a first attempt.

I think you are right, the solution could be isosurfaces (I suppose they are
similar to contours or to equipotential surfaces) using the y=1/r^2 as a first
attempt. If you can find a solution on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ioannis