POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proof of concept: The wind in the reeds : Re: Proof of concept: The wind in the reeds Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:07:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proof of concept: The wind in the reeds
From: MichaelJF
Date: 17 Sep 2014 16:35:01
Message: <web.5419f038efc7654280290e640@news.povray.org>
> That back bending is simply unrealistic. Just changing the bending
> direction already improves things. What I did was add 180 degrees to all
> negative rotations.
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions.
>
> @ Bald Eagle: I do indeed use the image_map as a kind of force map,
> through the height_field stage and then using the properties of the
> normals. Basically, I think that is identical to what you suggest? The
> rate of bending is proportional to the normal: pointing upward => no
> bending; increased bending with increasing normal angle towards the
> horizontal.
>
> @ MichaelJF: Yes, that parting was killing the effect and came from my
> concept of rebounding of the stalks. In any case, this was far to strong
> here. I presently dropped this effect for the time being.
>
> @ clipka: the bending angle is uniform over the whole length as a first
> approximation. In reality, I expect bending to increase towards the top,
> due to the different effects already mentioned by Alain and Bald Eagle.
> Most important in my view are the thickness/rigidity of the stalks
> towards the base and the damping effect of surrounding stalks. The
> former is easy to implement, the latter is more difficult, especially if
> one also wants to consider collision effects. At present, I do not know
> how to tread that path.
>
> Something I still believe not right is the wave length of the effect. I
> think it should be larger.
>
> Also note in the present image that all stalks start from the same
> initial orientation/scale. I need to introduce more randomness /and/ add
> different types of stalks.
>
> Thomas

Looks very much better in my eyes. In fact I'm working on a somewhat similiar
issue at the moment. That is why I came up with suggestions to control the
bending and length of the straws depending on the position (and the normal
provided by the trace()-command). I'm trying to give a certain model a special
hair-style. (Stephen will recognize the source of my inspiration most likely.) I
admit, there is room to improvement...

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mudmaid_veryfirstwip.jpg' (11 KB)

Preview of image 'mudmaid_veryfirstwip.jpg'
mudmaid_veryfirstwip.jpg