POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proof of concept: The wind in the reeds : Re: Proof of concept: The wind in the reeds Server Time
5 Jul 2024 06:55:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proof of concept: The wind in the reeds
From: MichaelJF
Date: 16 Sep 2014 12:55:01
Message: <web.54186a78efc7654299fcef4c0@news.povray.org>
> Well, I am interested in modelling wind patterns over a reed field, or a
> corn field. What I seem to observe are turbulent wave patterns moving
> the stalks back and forward while going over the field.
>
> This is a first approximation. I am not really satisfied yet with the
> pattern. What I did is:
>
> 1) Make an image_map with a more or less turbulent ripple pattern.
> 2) Make a height_field based on that image_map.
> 3) Build a reed stalk with Inverse Kinematic properties (macro with Bend
> parameter).
> 4) Select random locations on the height_field;
> 4a) calculate the vertical angle between the normal at that location and
> a horizontal plane (using: VAngleD(V1,V2));
> 4b) calculate the horizontal angle between (arbitrarily) the +z-axis
> direction (direction of primary bending of the reed stalks) and the
> normal of the random location point (using: VRotationD(V1,V2,axis)).
> 5a) bend the stalk with a proportion of the vertical angle (4a);
> 5b) orient the bended stalk by rotating through the horizontal angle (4b);
> 5c) place the reed stalks at the random locations on a flat surface.
>
> The image shows 15000 reed stalks. About 4.5 minutes render time.
>
> suggestions are more than welcome of course.
>
> Thomas

Unfortunatelly I'm not familiar with the macros you use. But your stalks seems
to form a parting, like with hair, close to the right third. The most stalks to
the left of this point are bended to the left the others to the right. So I
wonder about the direction of the wind. I would propose a more simple approach
here. Bend them all in the same direction (with a slight random deviation, due
to the differences in the individual strenght of the stalks). May be you can
model the ground level too, having deeper stalks more straight and bend higher
ones more since they are more influenced by the wind.

Only some short thoughts about the matter,
Best regards,
Micahel