POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brick, material, texture, pigment, color.... : Re: Brick, material, texture, pigment, color.... Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:38:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brick, material, texture, pigment, color....
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 1 Sep 2014 23:20:01
Message: <web.54053702f238671d5e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
> Why are you doing this? Doesn't make much sense having both the bricks
> and the mortar use the same texture, does it?

Well, it does.
From:
http://news.povray.org/web.53ff71d6848b38545e7df57c0%40news.povray.org

"I'm simply trying to model a cinder block wall that has been painted a fairly
uniform color."

> I get "normal found instead", but I also get the point.
>
> I've never come across this before,

Well, I break things.  And they you should find one thing that you do well, and
stick with that.  Also, everyone has a superpower.  This is mine.

> but apparently (and knowing the
> internal of texture handling it does make sense to me) you can't override
> normal, texture or finish of a multi-component texture (i.e. one
> composed of multiple textures).

I suspected something like that, but couldn't be sure.

> You need to make the brick normal part of each individual sub-texture;
> it'll require an average normal_map to mix it with the normal
> perturbation you're already using.

Well, I tried about 20 - 30 different things, and at long last I got something
that looks fairly passable in both the block and the mortar, at almost any angle
and with a simple point light source.

#declare White_Brick =  texture {pigment {brick
pigment {rgb <202/255, 198/255, 173/255>}
pigment {rgb <202/255, 198/255, 173/255>}
brick_size <8, 8, 16>}
} ;

#declare White_Wall =  material {texture {White_Brick
normal {brick
normal {bumps scale <0.2, 0.5, .1> rotate x*5 rotate z*5}
normal {bumps scale <.05, 0.5, .1>}  brick_size <8, 8, 16>}
finish {diffuse 0.9 phong 0.2}
}
} ;

I'll likely dabble with that at some point to add a touch more yellow, and
possible a slightly varied granite pigment map, but it was the normal that was
driving me crazy.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

If anyone has any clever improvements to jazz this up a bit, I'd love to hear
them.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'wall_test_best.png' (226 KB)