POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : build problems... sigh : build problems... sigh Server Time
8 Jul 2024 12:30:46 EDT (-0400)
  build problems... sigh
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 29 Aug 2014 01:00:01
Message: <web.540008b038dfb671538d4890@news.povray.org>
Once again I find myself having problems building povray on a new system...

In short: I had to upgrade my mint distro to Mint 17

So I'm trying to reconfigure a new system -- hopefully the last time I'll have
to do it for a while since Mint 17 is supposed to be supported through 2019 --
and I try to build povray, and...

checking whether to link with cygwin DLL... no
checking whether to enable static linking... no
checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no
checking whether pthreads work without any flags... no
checking whether pthreads work with -Kthread... no
checking whether pthreads work with -kthread... no
checking for the pthreads library -llthread... no
checking whether pthreads work with -pthread... yes
checking for joinable pthread attribute... PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE
checking if more special flags are required for pthreads... no
checking for boostlib >= 1.37... yes
checking whether the Boost::Thread library is available... yes
checking whether the boost thread library is usable... no
configure: error: in `/home/lblackthorne/Build/povray':
configure: error: cannot link with the boost thread library
See `config.log' for more details

I have libboost-thread1.54-dev installed.  In fact, I installed
libboost-thread1.54-all-dev

but, for some reason, I can't configure povray.

I think this:

configure:7849: checking whether the boost thread library is usable
configure:7869: g++ -o conftest  -pthread  -pthread -I/usr/include  -L/usr/lib
conftest.cpp   -pthread  >&5
/tmp/ccQH1iGG.o: In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int,
int)':
conftest.cpp:(.text+0x4f): undefined reference to
`boost::system::generic_category()'
conftest.cpp:(.text+0x5b): undefined reference to
`boost::system::generic_category()'
conftest.cpp:(.text+0x67): undefined reference to
`boost::system::system_category()'
configure:7869: $? = 1
configure: program exited with status 1

is the relevant section of the config.log

Help?  Please.

Regards,
A.D.B.