POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Field of view and aspect ratio : Re: Field of view and aspect ratio Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Field of view and aspect ratio
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Aug 2014 11:35:00
Message: <web.53ff4b938aa9b2105e7df57c0@news.povray.org>

> I often use a camera angle of 80 .... In combination with:
> right x*image_width/image_height

So, I guess I was under the impression that the above equation was the default
setting when you declare a camera object?

I guess I'm struggling a little bit - I seem to be at that awkward point where I
know enough to ask questions, but know too little to ask GOOD questions.  :\

all of these attributes seem to be interrelated to one another in a sort of
circular-logic that I can't untangle.   I see you declaring RIGHT - how does
that affect UP - or doesn't it?

> Something that might help too is playing with the camera look_at
> distance in relation to its location.

Hmm.  I'll have to experiment with that, since I didn't realize it had any
effect.  I typically just use it as a camera orientation vector.  I generally
don't care if the vector length is 0.01 or 100,000 so long as they lie on the
same line of sight.  What should I be expecting / looking for?

> Zooming in or out of a scene can be achieved by defining a zoom factor
> Zoom, and multiply that with: direction z*Zoom

The diagram I saw of the perspective camera seemed to suggest that the direction
vector is half the length of the camera to look_at length.  True?
The diagram didn't give a good explanation of right and up in relation to the
image size.

(I also have a Tina-CHeP question for you... how/where to do that?)

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!