POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why do tabs "update"? : Re: Why do tabs "update"? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 12:15:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why do tabs "update"?
From: jhu
Date: 13 Aug 2014 18:40:01
Message: <web.53ebe81388c7659fd19b0ec40@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > I'll often have way more than the recommended number of tabs open in (one of) my
> > browser(s).  I notice that news.povray.org tabs do the little update "spin", but
> > it doesn't appear that the threads or posts get updated - I have to hit the
> > "reload tab" button on my browser to get it to _actually_ update.
> >
> > So - what exactly is the page doing and why?
>
> Nothing. Your browser is just taking long to load the page. BTW, most browsers
> come with, or offer as plugin, a web debugger that will show you any and all
> page activities, assuming you want to check for yourself.
>
> The newsgroup pages do not reload automatically, they are not programmed to do
> so.

Incorrect. Look at the page source for this page for example. In the first 18
lines:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>POV-Ray: Newsgroups: povray.general: Why do tabs
"update"?</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/styles-fixed.css" type="text/css">
<!--
a:link { text-decoration : none }
a:visited { text-decoration : none }
a:hover { text-decoration : none }
pre { font-family: Lucida Console, Monaco, Courier, monospace }
..RC1 { color: #005500 }
..RC2 { color: #007700 }
..RC3 { color: #009900 }
-->

The page directs the browser to reload every 10 minutes.