POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : benchmarks o'interest : Re: benchmarks o'interest Server Time
8 Jul 2024 13:07:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: benchmarks o'interest
From: jhu
Date: 6 Aug 2014 06:00:02
Message: <web.53e1fb9e1b6ac1fed19b0ec40@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 06/08/2014 10:45, clipka a écrit :
> > Must be a high-core-count thing; on my 4-core i7, running Windows 7, I
> > see this for a random scene:
>
> From my point of view, it's a "use less than 50% of resources" thing.
> The graph goes up to 40 threads, but the guy has 80 possible cores ( 40
> true (4 x 10), x 2 by HT).
>
> The curves past 40 threads are only extension of points below 40. there
> is not even a data point at 50, 60 or 70, when Xeon are used. All 40+
> points are with Opteron (and there is no HT in Opteron... it's
> different, Intel HT and AMD module are not the same)
>
> Opteron cores' count is 48 (4 x cpu, 2 dies of 3 piledriver module each,
> each module providing 2 execution thread (core), 24 modules.
>

> --
> Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.

Look at the last box at the bottom. He has results for 40, 60, and 80 threads.
With HT on, the 40, 60, and 80 thread results are all about 20 seconds slower
than the non-HT results on Windows.

I suspect it's his version of Windows. Not all Windows Server 2008 R2 versions
support 4 physical CPUs. But he doesn't specify which one he has.