POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Going spectral : Re: Going spectral Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:37:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Going spectral
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 5 Aug 2014 00:40:01
Message: <web.53e05f2f3476ff7e192ae5f10@news.povray.org>
> Second image shows the results of a 16-channel spectral rendering, using
> automatic generation of absorption spectra to match the RGB colours.

What sort of algorithm are you using?  What do the spectral curves look like?
Will there be some interface between the channels and the user?

I'm working on a module for the Object Collection that generates spectra in a
format that is compatible with Lightsys IV and SpectralRender.  However, it
takes an HSV approach instead of an RGB approach.  Since the RGB system is an
artifact of the medium, I did not want to tie down the spectra to that system.

My priority was to generate quasi-realistic spectral curves, and matching
saturation, lightness, and value to any particular color system was /not/ a
consideration.  Therefore, using CRGB2HSV() or CRGB2HSL() and passing the
resulting value to my module will not produce the same results as the rgb (or
srgb) keyword.  (Indeed, passing a bluish green hue with any decent saturation
is likely to produce a color outside the sRGB gamut.)  However, to provide a
convenient and familiar anchor for hue, the hues are matched to the sRGB color
system.

The module is essentially complete, except for some testing.