POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brilliant Spheres : Re: Brilliant Spheres Server Time
8 Jul 2024 05:01:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brilliant Spheres
From: And
Date: 26 Jul 2014 08:20:01
Message: <web.53d39cb459af04f6bd5ee0540@news.povray.org>
> Oh, and did you know that the current implementation of brilliance is
> physically bogus?
>
> For virtually all real-world materials, the function that describes how
> much of any given incoming light ray comes out as any other given
> outgoing light ray is a /bidirectional/ one: You can swap incoming and
> outgoing ray, and the equation still yields the same result.
>
> That's not the case for POV-Ray's diffuse surface when using any
> brilliance value other than 1.

Yes, ...but I consider this current brilliance has its advantage. It has a
simple mathematics form. For users who want to control their own effect, it is
good.

> This can be fixed however -- and voila: It does provide for pretty neat
> effects.

I heard that there is an oren-nayar model. Is it something like that? If so, it
is very good because difference of diffuse model can creat many variety of
texture. The current pov-ray feature which can do this is not rich. Only
normal{...} on a texture can work with radiosity.

> Left: brilliance 0.7 (using the fixed implementation); this might come
> in handy to model fluffy stuff, such as tennis balls.
>
> Center: brilliance 1.0 for reference.
>
> Right: brilliance 2.0 (using the fixed implementation); should do great
> for black nylons or the like. Might also come in handy as the basis for
> a pearl material I guess.

Brilliance for radiosity is good.