POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : This makes no sense : Re: This makes no sense Server Time
7 Oct 2024 04:55:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This makes no sense
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 4 Jul 2014 16:15:00
Message: <web.53b70b16c704eaa377ac193c0@news.povray.org>
> I was discussing this with a friend of mine last night, and his theory was that
> the G5 is using SIMD, which the Phenom II doesn't seem to have.  I suppose that
> -could- make a difference with number crunching...

The 1090T supports SSE1-SSE3 SIMD extensions, according to cpu-world, however I
can't tell if it actually uses SIMD technology.

According to Everymac, the 970MP G5 processor uses SIMD and supports up to 12
simultaneous out-of-order instructions.  If it is, indeed, doing four
calculations per instruction, that might account for the difference.

looking at the Makefile for my AMD install, the -march option is set to "native"
which resulted in the build being optimized for X86_64-unknown-linux-gnu,
whereas the G5 install is optimized specifically for powerpc64-unkonwn-linux-gnu
| PowerPC G5.

Regards,
A.D.B.