POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : This makes no sense : Re: This makes no sense Server Time
8 Jul 2024 14:09:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This makes no sense
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 4 Jul 2014 15:55:01
Message: <web.53b705a0c704eaa377ac193c0@news.povray.org>
"jhu" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > That was POV-Ray 3.6, i.e. single-thread performance (and also a
> > different benchmark scene).
>
> I've found good correlation between Povray 3.6 benchmark and per core
> performance on Povray 3.7 benchmark. PowerPC 970 should be slower, clock for
> clock, core for core, compared with Phenom II (which is already faster than K8).
>
> > > There's something not quite right with OP's setup.
> >
> > Maybe the thermal throttling I mentioned?
>
> No, not thermal throttling. My Phenom II 1090T @ 3.2 GHz (which is stock)
> finishes the benchmark in 3 minutes 9 seconds (Ubntu 14.04, gcc 4.8 <- this is
> the fastest OS + compiler setup I've been able to find for non-Intel
> processors). It's running at 3.2 GHz for all cores the whole time based on the
> output of /proc/cpuinfo
>
> I think the Mac is misconfigured somehow. There's absolutely no way a quad-core
> PPC 970 is faster than a hex core Phenom II that's also clocked higher.

This is my thought exactly.  The G5 is a 2.5Ghz Quad core, the Phenom II is the
1090T Black Edition it's supposed to be clocked to 3.01 Ghz but the specs are
listed as 3.2 - 3.6.

I haven't fiddled with anything on the mac side of things other than installing
a non-standard OS which uses open firmware.  If there's anything configured
strangely, I didn't do it.

I was discussing this with a friend of mine last night, and his theory was that
the G5 is using SIMD, which the Phenom II doesn't seem to have.  I suppose that
-could- make a difference with number crunching...

Regards,
A.D.B